August, 2019 Featur...

Notifications
Clear all

August, 2019 Featured Rider Of The Month

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

We caught up with Wild Bill Schultz at the Argyle MX motocross track.

Bill raced the 65 intermediates on the same gate as the 58 intermediates.

Mr. Bill Schultz
@ 65 years old.

What is your hometown?
Torrance, California.

Have you ever been rider of the month in the last 37 years?
NO, I have never been rider of the month in 37 years and I want to think over the Hill gang board for recognizing me!
Maybe it's my colorful bright racing outfit that made me be noticed by the board.

What type of bike do you race?
I race on a Yamaha YZF 450

Who are some of years Sponsors? 
Too Tech,  Factory Backing,  Acerbis,  Scott,  Pit Posse,  Risk Racing,  Suomy,  Outlaw Racing Products and EVS.

Since you're 65 years old Bill, what was the occupation you retired from?
I am retired and I was Formally Tech 1 at the City of Torrance Water Department.

When did you start racing, Bill?
I started racing in 77 Great Bear GP at Riverside Raceway there was a whole group of us who decided to race.

Did you ever do any desert racing?
Yes, I did some Desert racing but I started racing mx in 82 and still do gp's.

So, who talked you into racing MX?
I have a friend Sean Mahn who was a Pro.
He talked me into mx and then my other MX friend named Roger Zela talked me into my 1st race.

What was the first bike you raced on?
The first bike I raced on was a 1970 ct1 175 Yamaha.

What was your greatest achievement besides getting out of bed...lol?
That would be my Championships in all the sports I have done.

What other  sports have you done?
Baseball,  Softball,  Surfing and Volleyball.

Who would you like to give a shout out to?
That would be Rick Johnson for making my suspension work so good and all the Sponsors and people who have been there to help me. Mark Harpwood for coming out to the races with me and supporting me on the line, while he was recovering from eye surgery.

Who are some of the riders in over the Hill gang from the past, that I've given you the most joy to race with?
That you'd like to mention to our newer riders.
Riders who I had fun racing in the old days were the late great Rick Purcell,  Marty Westerman, Jim Pierce,  Dan Townsend,  Herb Allen,  Doug Truhn, Dave Rodriguez 

Were you ever a board member in the past either with over the Hill gang or old-timers club?
Yes, I was Race Director for the Riverside with SoCal OTMX from 03 to 07 .

What was your funniest MX story that involves a big name/prominent member in our club?

I was racing at Glen Helen and was behind Uncle Joe Stern. The track was a little muddy and he pulled a tear off in front of me and it flew back and stuck on my goggles. I couldn't see anything. I had to pull off my roll offs.
I did manage to pass him we had a great laugh about it after the race and from then on I called him "the cheater".

Since you're retired now Bill, would you consider a board position with over the Hill gang?

Board no... I wouldn't run for the board with racing the Gang,  OTMX or the AMA .
I think it takes someone who devotes the majority of their racing with the club.

Congratulations from over the OTHG for being a rider of the month for August 2019 Bill Schultz...#354g