October 29, 2018 –L...

Notifications
Clear all

October 29, 2018 –LACR race Sunday recap.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

I heard at the World Vet you might get 5 laps...Gotto love the OTHG club as long Moto's allow the riders to get plenty of laps!

For example, there were 13 laps in the intermediate class.in Moto one Jeff Brower #704G who had taken off from the race town race to save money for this LACR race had posted the fastest lap time of 1.22. Brower was up and running with the front runners #719 G John Agnew and #21G Barrett Kiick.

The race was exciting to watch with 5 classes of intermediates on the track at the same time. Kiick won the 28 class over Nick Stern with only one-second difference in lap times.

Agnew had won both Moto's in the 38 intermediates even though Jeff Brower posted a faster lap time.

10 G James Van Duinwyk was off the pace, choosing different motorcycles for his Moto's. In the first Moto, Van Duinwyk raced a KTM and then a Kawasaki 450. He said that "the KTM felt notably lighter".

127G David Riley won the 45 class in both Motos. In Moto two, Riley was up with the front runners, coming out of the gate. Riley posted a 1.26 lap time. Victor Jones was slow getting started and in lap 5, Jones riding # 361 on a Suzuki two-stroke, picked up the pace to match the front runners at 1.26. # 6G Mark Condon went 2-1.

Condon and #259 Carl Powell (58 intermediate) battled closely with first Moto 1 winner Eric Gooselaw. It was any body's race in Moto two and in the back section on lap 4 of a 13 lap race and out of view from the spectators. Gooselaw did not come down the hill with Condon and Powell. Gooselaw had posted a 1.32 lap time and something happened back there. That lap was over 2 min. long. We are checked with Eric and we are finding out tonight, what happened. Eric recounted on what happened at the back of the track: "I was so mad at myself Eric said I felt I was in total control and I had plenty of energy. 52G Mike Maciel and I went over the back double together and I landed in the chop. I stalled the bike. Couldn't get it restarted. They were about half a lap ahead of me and I just mentally just gave up."

George White was out of competition with Carl Powell, due to knee problems. White helped as a volunteer, with flagging. Tyler Walker moved to the expert class.

6 kids signed up for the kid's support class.
Kids from the family of Thorn, Sunding and Dunbar.

65 intermediate 41G Gary Willison got the holeshot out of all the riders in race number 4 in both photos. Willison was outraced at the end of the day by Gary Doll. Wilson said afterward "I can't believe I got beat by Gary, I usually always win races against him. I must be getting old. The other day in Las Vegas. I pulled the handle. I hit, with three prunes".

28 beginner 287 Ryan Fiegal and 521 Matthew Dowsey were definitely the fastest beginners on the track. Posting 1.34 and 1.33 respectively, lap times. Wow, I couldn't believe when Fiegal came out of the gate in Moto 1 and posted a one time only 1.31 lap time. It was really amped up!

930 G Mike Greene who won the 58 novice class in both motos was not doing the finish line double. 49G Rick Sarmiento almost lands at the back of him as he went over the double and cleared it. Sarmiento had grabbed onto the brakes, to avoid a rear-end collision.also in the group of 58 novices were 169G Kevin Ridgeman along with #10 Joey Escobar and 724G Lars Feldman. I saw Feldman keeping pace with Escobar who has his own track in his backyard. Feldman said, "oh he was just playing with me".
Green's brother #18 Andy Greene also won both of his photos over #236g Thaddeus Puccini and #84 Teisha Brockman.

Healthy rider, 52 beginner 206G Mike Elay outpaced number 50G Mark Smith in both photos. Mark said, just before he got underway on Sunday "My wrists were bothering me from old football injuries".

Notable in the race directors file, should be the 28 novice class MX racer #24 Bobby Morello posting of lap time of 1.27 and a 1.24 lap time in Moto two.

701G James Kibbe ended up winning over Morello in Moto one. #71 Taylor Giorgio and #24 John England also competed in the 28 novice class. Overall Morelos 2-1, bested Kibbe's 1-3.
Also, in the race directors file, should be the 45 novice class MX racer #68 Gerry Cueller with some impressively notable best lap times of 1.26 and 1.28.

88G Greg McConnell topped the 52 novice class 1-2 over 94G Eric Miesenholder 3-1. The two other riders in the class were #66 Tony Parks and #38 Dean Mizdal.

An unbelievably fast lap time was posted by 28 expert #28 Cole Noble at 1 min. 16 seconds. 762G Spencer Burns did match the lap time on 1 lap. Burns did not finish the second Moto. 

Succeeding lap times followed by #1 Tyler Walker at 1.18. Then, it was a three-way battle between 907G Jamison Carrick, 107G Mark Flinders and 29G Josh Heckman at 1.20. Carrick was flying over the lengthened finish line jumps and had a scrub speed not to fly into the face of that next obstacle.  Flinders wins both Moto's in the 45 experts and continues to dominate the local year-long points tally.

1G John Lombardo pulls one big holeshot and holds the lead for a lap. Lombardo is bested by hard-charging Blake Steelegrave. Steelegrave wins the 52 experts going 3-1 over Lombardo's 1–3. 38G Matt Itamura goes 2-2.5G Craig McCarley gets two good starts and 516G Pete Anagnos plays it safe and makes passes later in the Moto's as he gets more comfortable with his Honda 450. Anagnos often swaps motorcycles riding either a two-stroke and a four-stroke at gang races.

222G Rick Johnson a 58 expert, unfortunately, gets a flat tire in Moto two after winning Moto one.

58 Masters the#27 Ed Guajardo and 14G Tracy Hatch were laying down some impressive lap times at 1.21-1.24 in both Motos. Even when the track became rougher, these two riders tally lap times that remain consistent throughout the Motos.

55G Keith Brockmann sat on the sidelines after a tough get off in the whoop section. Early in practice he swapped and was thrown off the bike and broke his nose. He could do nothing but watch the rest of his class out there racing on the LACR Vet track. He was in good spirits. I gave him my doctor's advice " you've got to " BABY that injury". So, go home and follow my doctor's directions. "Drink a bottle of Apple Juice, pee in your pants and cry for a couple hours and you'll feel better".

Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Myself along with Scotty Walker as he watched his son #1 Tyler Walker race in the 28 expert class along with #1- 45 expert fan Keith Brockmann.
It's been a tough year for a few of us.

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

If you'd like to add to the story tell us about your personal race experience during the LACR Vet race... please do so.
Remember , we could not see you racing in the upper back section.
A shout out to Marion...heal up soon!

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Nice first Moto James, keep it up!
    Another gang race weekend in the books!

ReplyQuote

Great write up Chris! Thanks for that.

ReplyQuote

Wow well done Chris
Elvis 537R
Viva Las Vegas