Cal City Tomorrow 9...

Notifications
Clear all

Cal City Tomorrow 9/22

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

Anyone up for practice? I'll be out there.

Anyone up for practice? I'll be out there.

You might want to go to the 58 via I-15. Last week they were working on the 395

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

You might want to go to the 58 via I-15. Last week they were working on the 395

I'm the other way. Coming up the 14.  πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote

Ride report?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Track was awesome today. There weren't really enough riders to beat it up, so it stayed pretty loamy.

They changed up a few spots since the club last raced there, which you can see in this video (not mine): https://youtu.be/3lY5RiIoJ9A

I feel like it all flows pretty good. The S-Turn and that peaky double out of the corner that lands into the 180 left is gonna give some people fits (starting 1:44 in the video). Saw a couple riders overshoot the berm today.

The first turn seems to be a little wider now, which should be good for the upcoming races.

Saw Marc Condon and his boy out there, so I chatted it up with them a bit. Also saw someone from the Valley (#1V) riding around. I think there were a couple others too. Everyone seemed to be stoked on the track/conditions.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Here's a 60 second edit I threw together from my GoPro footage:

https://youtu.be/WaeJU4UD2m0

ReplyQuote

Nicely done. I was there Friday before last. Same track.

I am going to LACR tomorrow.

Thanks

ReplyQuote

That peaky double out of the S turn will be a table for our race and the National.

I wish it wasn't,  but it is. 

ReplyQuote

That peaky double out of the S turn will be a table for our race and the National.

I wish it wasn't,  but it is.

That's a bummer....unfortunately, I'm still pretty injured, but for what it's worth having obstacles that not only separates the classes, but also the technical abilities of the riders within the same class, is at the heart of what make true racing actually competitive.

Think about this - if, instead of the need to be technically adept to conquer an obstacle, one can simply roll over it, fade to the side to block someone or push them off the track, then the separation of skills is not what is creating the podium spots.

That being said, tracks should be "safe" as possible, but motocross is an inherently dangerous sport and we all know it. It doesn't matter if it's a Vet track or a Main track (which is why I ALWAYS push for Main track, but that's a deal for another time). Riding within your means - whether that allows you to win or not - is the only way to truly keep it as safe as possible.

Good luck to everyone at the National and to those vying for the top 10!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

That entire area of the track is better than it was earlier this year in my opinion. If it was left as a double I think it allows for some cool block pass opportunities where someone coming up the inside could take the line and force someone on the outside to roll it.

I do see the other side of it, where someone might turn it into a fairly dangerous situation and land into someone, but that's motocross. Gotta make smart line choices.

ReplyQuote

Double to table instead, no difference for those that jump the double to begin with. For those that don’t, it is still significantly slower, but now safer. Good call on that track change. It’s a fun track, however the dirt is not such that will allow more than a single fast line. Starts are going to be important and jumping will be where one makes time.

I am looking forward to a second try at racing there 

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member

Thanks for putting up the video's James.
Cool to see the new layout.
Is the east bound double after the start ,that you did , any easier than last time we raced there?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Is the east bound double after the start ,that you did , any easier than last time we raced there?

Hmmmmm, I'd call it a triple, if you're talking about the one right after the start. I believe it's the only eastbound jump anyway... If so, it's exactly the same as before. I'll go for it one of these days...

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member

Hmmmmm, I'd call it a triple, if you're talking about the one right after the start. I believe it's the only eastbound jump anyway... If so, it's exactly the same as before. I'll go for it one of these days...

Yes , that sounds like it... on the 1st video. The jumps at 36 seconds .

ReplyQuote

The double to a table was made to provide the safest track for everyone.  As Scotty pointed out, those that can clear it AND make the turn will be faster than those that simply roll it.  The track is awesome right now and will provide great racing.  See everyone on the 29th!  Please remember that a track must be "raceable" for all OTHG skill levels.  Cal City MX offers just that!

Rich

ReplyQuote