Notifications
Clear all

Oil Question?

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

Well I have almost 3 hrs on the KTM now and figure I better change that break in oil & filter.  The only 4 stroke I have spent any time with is the 08 Honda with split cases. I ran two different types of oil. Now I must make a change with the one oil for clutch & engine.  I know we have a few KTM owners out there. Have we found that it likes one and not so much another?  Thought I would throw it out to people I know.

Thanks,
188g

I don't own a KTM, but I do own a Kawasaki 600cc sport bike that makes @100 horsepower, redlines at 14,500 rpm, and uses the same oil in the engine and transmission.  I use Mobil Delvac 15w-40 Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO), which costs about $12/gallon at Walmart.  Similar brands of HDEO are Shell Rotella 15w-40 and Chevron Delo 15w-40, also available at Walmart (get what's on sale).  Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic is even better, and costs about $21/gallon at Walmart, and is JASO MA approved.  You can Google "Shell Rotella in Motorcycle" and get more info (too much info).  I used only the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic (changed oil/filter every 5000 miles) in a 2003 Kawasaki Z1000, and that bike ran like new when I sold it with over 86,000 miles.  Now I use the cheaper conventional HDEO, and change it more often.  So far, so good.  My point is that the HDEOs made by Shell, Mobil, and Chevron work well in any 4 stroke motorcycle, and can be changed more often at a lower cost compared to pricey Motorcycle Oils (@$12/gallon vs. ?/quart).

ReplyQuote

Alan,

When I got my bike I was all nuts about it and got the Motorcraft $85/gallon oil.  Then Tom Moen from Factory KTM told me that was a waste of money at the level we ride at and that I should use Rotella 4t from Walmart.  After calling around to a few shops and riders, I found that that was used pretty widely.  it is also the recommended oil for all Rekluse clutches. Don't let the price fool you or the fact that it's from Walmart. In fact, since it is so inexpensive comparably, you can buy it by the gallon and change it all the time!

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Thanks Steve & Mike,  I also have a third opinion that is suggesting the exact same thing.  I guess this is a no brainier.  8)

188g

ReplyQuote

it comes in 2 gallons also, i've used it in my 07 yzf and my 10 yzf with a rekluse and have had NO problems with it.

ReplyQuote

Hi Alan, I've owned 4 stroke KTM's for the past 14 years and used Shell Rotella Motor Oil in all my bikes and never had any issues. I typically re-build the top ends after 90 hrs and every time the cylinders and and pistons still have the hone marks on them. The gear boxes and gears are super clean with no residue. My only recommendation is make sure you buy the regular Rotella and not the synthetic blend. I change my oil every 3 hrs and oil filter every 9 hrs or 3rd oil change.

Regards, Matt38g

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys,  I think it is the Rotella T4 for me. Every 3 hours sounds about right. 🙂
188g

ReplyQuote

I too use the rotella.  But I change my oil like every 1-2 hours. Oil is cheap insurance. 

ReplyQuote

The reason that Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 HDEO is so good is that Shell uses "hydrocracking" to remove most of the paraffin wax and other impurities during its petroleum refining process to create a "Group II" base oil (as does Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo).  Group II oil is far superior to Group I oil (more pure, more temperature stable), but due to modern "economies of scale" is now available at about the same price as Group I oil.  As Motovibe mentioned above, this purity and temperature stability results in excellent engine cleanliness.  Commercial trucking companies (who actually have their used oil analyzed) use the HDEOs from Shell, Mobil, and Chevron because they are the best value available.  Rotella is the popular HDEO among Motorcyclists because Shell took on the expense of having their oil tested for "JASO MA" approval (smart move), while Mobil and Chevron have not (their oils are marketed as diesel truck/mixed fleet oils).  Did anyone else see the Rotella commercial during a recent (2016) Supercross TV broadcast?  It was very brief, and nothing about Motorcycles was mentioned, only something like- America's No. 1 Heavy Duty Engine Oil. 

ReplyQuote

in my bike and in my truck

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Wow Steve!  You know way to much about this stuff.  I had the Mrs. pick up the Rotella T4 yesterday.

Now somebody ask a garage door question quick!  I want to be in the know too ;D

188g

ReplyQuote

Alan, I'm glad that Mikel, Schultz, Motovibe, and KevinB also posted here in reply to your question.  I did not want to be the only guy advising you that it's OK to put diesel truck oil in your new race bike.

ReplyQuote