Mechanic Monday, Ti...

Notifications
Clear all

Mechanic Monday, Tip of the Week. New Bike "Race ready"?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter  

Mechanic Monday, Tip of the Week. New Bike Race ready?

Is a new bike really "race ready"? Well only in the strictest sense of that cliché. When you get a new bike there is plenty to do for it to be "ownership" ready. Do you remember the TV commercial about car transmissions that said "you can pay me now or you can pay me later". Your new bike is a bit like that commercial. Your new bike says "you can pay me now with your time or you can pay me later from your wallet". Lets go over the top 10 items that want your attention.

1. Most new bikes come with very little grease in the swingarm, linkage and steering head. Usually just enough to assemble the parts. If you let this item go for long without greasing them the ability to get these items apart later can cause a real headache.

2. Another item is the many screws and bolts that thread directly into aluminum parts. Steel hardware and aluminum parts don't play well together for any extended period of time. using some blue loctite or anti-seize  can reduce the corrosion that plagues these two metals. Focus on items such as swing arm brake hose guides, chain adjusters and chain guides.

3.Sprocket bolts. Never trust them!!! Red loctite these menacing bolts before they ruin your day.

4. How about an hour meter. All race engines are little ticking time bombs and there is nothing better in keeping that engine on it's proper maintenance schedule like an hour meter.

5. Set the shock sag and ensure the triple clamps have the proper torque on the fork tubes.

6. Handle bar and lever position adjustments and if you like, the proper tension on lever perches so they will rotate in a crash.

7. Some bikes allow for foot peg height adjustment. A wonderful feature!

8. There are many folks that will not run a stock chain. I have but keep a very close eye on them. (reference Tip of the week article Chain Tip #1)

9. Wheel axels should be greased to keep them easy to remove. While you are there ensure the fork tubes are not deflected in or out by the shop that assembled you bike from the crate.

10. All electrical plug connectors should be sprayed with an electrical cleaner/lube to reduce corrosion.

Ok one more bonus tip...
Take pictures of cable, wire routing and hardware stack ups so you can reference back to them in the future. Along with notes of initial suspension settings.

Stay greasy my friends

As always, AWESOME advise!!!  Thank you.

ReplyQuote