Notifications
Clear all

Mechanic Monday Tip of the Week... Spare parts

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter  

Mechanic Monday Tip of the Week.

It's race weekend with a 3 hour drive to get there and your thinking of how your season's points are stacking up.
That is a lot of effort to be lost while being sidelined with a small bike issue at the track.
This weeks tip is about spare parts to bring to the races.
Yes a spare bike is the ultimate setup but without that lets look at some ideas to try and put a spare parts list together. This list might not be right for your bike but at least it could stir some consideration for other items that might be right for you.

Here are some common items to consider.
1. Tubes
2. Spare throttle and clutch cables
3. Spare handlebars.
4. Spare brake and clutch lever.
5. Hardware kit, duct tape, zip ties.
6.Throttle tube with grip already mounted
7. Chain, maybe even an old one that has some life left in it. (see my chain tip article)
8.  Spare duckbill for your helmet.

Now how about some "oddball" items to consider.
1. Crush washers for the brake hose banjo bolts. I have crashed a couple of times and had the banjo bolt come loose and needed new crush washers to seal up the hose connection for a stubborn seep type leak that just would not reseal.
2. Fork seals, a leaking fork on the brake rotor side can take away your front brake. I have changed fork seals between motos before. I don't service the cartridge trackside to save a ton of time. Just stuff in new seals and do a full fork service when I get home.
3. Clutch plates. Ever since the quick access clutch cover came out, fixing a slipping clutch only take a few minutes.
4. A spare fuel injector. This item seems popular for the KTM folks to keep as a spare.

I hope to get more ideas in the comments below especially if there is a story behind them.

Stay greasy my friends.

That is why my trailer is full of parts and a spare bike...lol

ReplyQuote