Notifications
Clear all

Mechanic Monday... Tip of the week. Good N Tight

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

Mechanic Monday...  Tip of the week.
Good-N-Tight or is it Guten Nacht? Well my German is not very good. Good-N-Tight seems to be the mantra of tightening bolts and screws.
I have been a mechanic for a very, very long time and often had new mechanics assigned to me over the years to get them up to speed. One thing they all have in common is they over tighten everything. They don't think much about it unless they strip out the threads. When it becomes an issue is when they try to take it back apart. Then the real joy begins. Odds are good that a lot of folks out there tighten the living daylights out of hardware. There is a recent invention that cost less then a new tire and it is called a digital torque wrench. The beauty of this wrench is how quickly the desired torque is set and the sound it makes when you are at the proper torque. You can take a piece of paper with all the required torques for you bike and tape it on the torque wrench itself to make the process even faster. Think about the value of just one heli-coil repair or having to drill the head off of a screw or easy-out some hard to get at bolt. Compared to doing the job right in the first place.

P.S. I also want to pass on the advantage of owning your own transponders. The fast pass sign up means you simply walk up to the line with no one in it and sign in. That's it for sign up no lengthy forms to fill out, no giving up your drivers license and it helps the club with more transponders available for guest riders. Also the ability to go on line and see all of the lap times for everyone is very cool.

Thanks for all your help this weekend with transponder loop and all of that.  :laugh: :laugh: ;D

ReplyQuote

P.S. I also want to pass on the advantage of owning your own transponders. The fast pass sign up means you simply walk up to the line with no one in it and sign in. That's it for sign up no lengthy forms to fill out, no giving up your drivers license and it helps the club with more transponders available for guest riders. Also the ability to go on line and see all of the lap times for everyone is very cool.

Can you tell me what the cost savings would be if any of owning your own transponder? 

ReplyQuote

Transponders cost $5 to rent and if you own your own you wouldn't have to pay that, also you can use it at all other races too. The Crooks at a day in the dirt I want to charge $15 for that same transponder

ReplyQuote