10 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

2019 Oct ROM Mark Smith

Mark Smith 50G
52 Beg

BIKE: 2018 KTM 350 SFX

Mark Smith was in Tulare at over the Hill gang's 5th and final national round during the October 25th weekend.
Everyone was amped up either to protect their lead in points or do a come-from-behind charge and take a national title.
In the 52 beginners class, Smith was in the lead by 4 points.

I approached Mark in the outfield area of the pits and asked "what are you gonna do with that long loamy start" ?
Mark said "I don't want to get the holeshot."  He was afraid about the first turn, with so many riders.
" I'll go after them , after the first turn" Mark said cheerfully. Mark continued "if I lose 2 points on Saturday and 2 points on Sunday. " Then, there would be a tie and I would lose the title with the other guy having the better finish in this final-round.

Smith was in the lead by 4 points with Eric Call 47B.

On Saturday, in Moto 1, Call bested Smith by only 1 position and then Smith beat Call by 1 position in Moto 2.

On Sunday, in Moto 3, Call bested Smith by 1 position , again.

But, in Moto 4, Smith was riding his best and finished 2 positions ahead of Call and for the first time, even finished ahead of the Tulare local rider 724V Brant Berger.

Smith had successfully protected his national title for 2019.

STARTED RACING:  I played baseball over 20 years until I injured my knee and couldn't play anymore. I needed something to do. So, I started coaching high school football. I even tried riding street bikes and that was fun, but didn't do it for me. Then one day, I was riding at Gorman when Dennis Foster walked up and asked "have you ever raced before?"

"Hell no" I replied, "I'm the slowest guy out here". Dennis invited me and my son to race at AV Motoplex that next Sunday. He actually paid our race fees!

As I was sitting there at the starting gate, I thought this was it, for me... I never wanna miss a race, but there is that work thing I have to do.

FIRST DIRT BIKE: 2004 Honda crf 250R

BEST BATTLES: It was in 2017 at the South nationals LACR... Lawrence Feldman won the first Moto and Dan Montrose got 2nd. I got 3rd place.

In the 2nd Moto Dan Montrose got 1st and I got 2nd place, Marian Tucker got 3rd place, Lawrence Feldman got 4th.

That was a weekend that any one of us 4 , could've taken first place . I miss racing with all of them.

SHOUT OUTS AND THANKS TOO: Dennis Foster and every OTHG club member you guys always make me feel welcome at the track and as I walk through the pits.

A very special thanks to my sweet girlfriend, Maricel  : )

From everyone at OTHG Congratulations!!

Written by Chris Cumbo

Congrats Mark Keep it going. Good times
Frank

ReplyQuote

Congrats Mark. 
You have really picked up your pace and riding really good.
See you at Cahuilla

ReplyQuote
 372g

Congrats Mark. 
You have really picked up your pace and riding really good.
See you at Cahuilla

A good dude to be sure!

ReplyQuote

Congratulations!

ReplyQuote

Wow thank you all very much. I can’t tell you how much I love racing with the gang. Win or lose it’s always a good time.

ReplyQuote

Congrats

ReplyQuote

Congrats Mark well deserved
Elvis 573g
Viva Las Vegas

ReplyQuote

Congratulations Marc! Always loved racing with you and very proud of your success!

ReplyQuote

Hey thx buddy see you on the track next week. ????????

ReplyQuote