Getting your engine...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting your engine to talk to you part 3.... Valve shims

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter  

Getting your engine to talk to you part 3.
Valves and the special chat they are waiting to have.
If shims could talk.

One thing all of the new 4T motocross bikes have in common is a quick access valve cover with a reusable gasket. There is a good reason the manufactures made it very easy to check your valve clearance. They want you to check it regularly! 
Checking your valve clearance is something that most people can do themselves. It is a simple task and is explained well in most owners manuals.  If the clearance is out of limits a competent mechanic should then be used to install the proper shim. 
Once your gas tank is off the valve clearance check only takes a couple of minutes. But what does the measurement tell me? I'm glad you asked, It lets you identify which valve is getting tight on the cam.
What is important here is then after you are ready to replace the second smaller shim for that same valve its time to send your head to a trustworthy machine shop to have them restore your head. The important thing to remember is a valve failure in your bike could be very $$$$ expensive to repair and if it happens on the face of a jump it could cost your life.

Note 1, The initial break-in shim adjustments are done and are not counted for this method.. It is the 2nd time the same valve requires a smaller shim that the valves should be serviced after break-in.

Really good stuff, makes me want to buy a bike so I can just work on it...lo

ReplyQuote