Notifications
Clear all

28 Nov. May ROM:James Kibbe "#701g”

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Congratulations too:ROM May 2019 - 28 Nov. rider James Kibbe #701g ...

Mr. James Kibbe
Age - 34
Hometown - Grew up in Thousand Oaks, CA, currently living in Simi Valley, CA
Bike - 2016 Yamaha YZ250 (2-stroke)
Sponsors - I get some help from Scott Goggles, Twin Air, and Tag Metals.

My biggest supporter is Becky Taylor. We've been together for many years and she's always been there through all the crazy choices and hobbies I've taken up.

A year and a half ago I said "I want to race motocross again" and she's been behind me 100% the whole way.

She's a huge part of making my race weekends successful!

Occupation - Financial Analyst at a major bank

How and when did you start racing motocross? - My brother and I started out riding in the desert a lot, but we always wanted to race. We watched our heroes every weekend during Supercross and Motocross season, so it made sense to try and take that step. Eventually our dad took us out to LACR for CRC races. We only raced a handful of times, but I still remember there being absolutely STACKED gates for the 125 beginner class every time we went. There was a first turn pile-up every other moto!
What was your first motorcycle? - I learned how to ride on my good friend's 1995 KX80, but eventually I got my own bike, a 1988 KX80. It was beat to hell, but we fixed it up pretty good.

What is your greatest accomplishment? - I'd say it would be my overall skill and fitness improvements I've made since I joined and started racing again 16 months ago. Sometimes I get frustrated with my riding.

Then I looked at the big picture, I remember how far I've come and how many good races I've been fortunate to have with OTHG, in such a short time.

Other sports? - Love riding my stand-up jet ski.

Also, anything and everything outdoors (camping, hiking, fishing, etc.)

Shout outs and thank you's - Thank you to everyone who welcomed me at my first race with OTHG at Cal City in early 2018.
I felt at home from day one.

Thank you to the board (Starr included!) for busting your asses every race weekend.

Last, but not least, thank you to Tim Gruter for all the good close races over the past year.

Tim ,you've helped me elevate my game!
-----
What was your favorite race of the 2019 year ?
The OTHG- SRAGP race was definitely one of those deals that stands out. No one really knew where we were going and what we were going to get. The weather was all over the place, but mostly wet.
There were rumors of cancellation, but the weather forecast kept showing a small window of relief and even some sunlight... I think that is what kept the event alive.

The only practice I got was the sight lap an hour before our race. That single lap was all I needed to know where the course was going.

Going to be a good day!

The course layout was incredible!

The extensive use of the ridges of the hills reminded me of all the desert riding I've done over the years... I immediately felt comfortable and fast. "Surfing" berm to berm and jumping over the little peaks on the hills felt effortless and fun. Also, the rain that many feared did nothing but keep dust at zero and traction at maximum! The wide open section on the asphalt was a treat as well... It's not often we get 5th gear wide sections on the tracks we race.

Come race time, there were 2 start lines for OTHG, all Intermediates and Experts in group 1, Novice and Beginner in group 2. I got the holeshot group 2 and set out to try and catch the fast guys who started about 30 seconds before us. To my surprise I was able to catch the tail end of group 1 within the first half a lap. I think I caught the first couple riders off guard....and was pretty amazed the race directer , Nick Stern almost ran me off the track! (we laughed about it later). A little rain came down on that first lap, but by lap 2 we had sunlight. Conditions were what could only be described as EPIC!

I kept my head down and pace up for the full 45 minute race and worked my way by a couple more Intermediates and experts. I ended up 8th overall with a huge smile on my face. For a race that many decided to stay home for, it was probably the most fun I've had on a bike in ages.

Thank you for allowing me to share my story with the other OTHG's members.

Great choice. Good people right there!!

ReplyQuote

X10

Good to have you and Becky around James.  8)
Well definitely Becky. Lol

JK

ReplyQuote

I agree. Great choice. I've really noticed your progression over the last year. You're a really solid and consistent rider.  Congrats James (and to your better half. She is part of your team)

ReplyQuote

Congrats James!

ReplyQuote

I agree. Great choice. I've really noticed your progression over the last year. You're a really solid and consistent rider.  Congrats James (and to your better half. She is part of your team)

x2!

ReplyQuote

This was quite unexpected! I really appreciate the nomination, and thank you everyone for the kind words.

ReplyQuote