Clear all

58 Int. April ROM: Michael Marrin AKA “Spicoli #141g”

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

58 year old April ROM: Michael Marrin AKA “Spicoli #141”
From Mission Viejo Calfornia rides a Yamaha YZ250F and is Sponsored by– Etch-it - Home of the Original Etch-it Cups Occupation - Self Employed Owner, Founder, Etch-it inc.
Started racing motocross in 1972 Escape Country Raceway. His first motorcycle was a 1972 XR 75.
His Dad bought it from Jeff Wards Dad .
His greatest accomplishment is raising 2 Daughters (So Far so good) and likes Surfing .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations from the OTHG!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Story From the outside view on Saturday is it probably looked like the Milestone National was going to be an easy win for Michael Marrin AKA “Spicoli” #141 (58 Intermediate Class).
As we all know in Motocross it is NEVER easy.
Anything can happen and soooo much did happened for Michael Marrin even before the weekend started.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Marrin's story starts a few months prior when Michael & his racing buddy Ten Dollar Bill (aka $10 / #315 William Tritt 52 Novice) decided to race the Milestone OTHG National. The plan was to ride Millstone practice days before the Warm up race, race the warm up and maximize the home track advantage. All us south guys know there can be some fast guys coming down from out of town for a national event. The Following is a story about one of the luckiest unlucky people there are.
It All Started at “The Warm Up” Race
The night before the warm up race we loaded our bikes and gear in to $10 Bill’s van nicked named “The Creeper Van”. This was a risky move because $10 Bill is always late. I triple warned Bill,, “practice starts at 8 and we MUST be ready SO DON’T BE LATE. Be at my house at 5:30 AM”. Sure enough like so many times before I got the text @ 5:45.. “My Van Battery is dead and the Creeper Van won’t start even with a jump”. YIKES!.. I stayed calm and told Bill to leave the battery on the jumpers for 5 minutes and see if it will start. I assured him we got time OTHG often starts late. Then BAM sure enough the Creeper Van started and Bill was on his way, only an hour late. Our challenge to be on time did not end with a dead battery, NOW-- half way to the track 10$ Bill informs me he has a bubbly stomach and we need to find a bathroom fast. Lucky for Bill and I we found an open restaurant and Bill was in and out quickly. Whoa,,we barely made it in time.

Once we made it to the track WOW was it worth it the track was Awesome. Moto 1 I found myself early on behind Carl Powel #259g who was in first. I would real him in and he would pull away a little we went back and forth a few times. There were times in that Moto I thought MAN I can’t get this guy I'm going to have to settle for 2nd. Moto 2 was a similar story however the first place rider changed from Carl to George White #74g whom I battled with earlier in the year at Glen Helen. Just like our battle at Glen Helen It wasn’t until the last lap in Moto 2 that I got around White #74g which gave me the win for the Warm up. Lesson learned at the Warm up. I need better starts.
The Milestone National “Easy Come Easy Go”
It was Monday afternoon the week leading into the national. I was changing tires and prepping my bike so I could be relaxed and ready to leave early Friday. When the strange mojo started up again, I noticed my fork seals were leaking like broken fire hydrant. So I called famous Steve Searcy of Clean Racing to see if I could beg him into getting my forks fixed by Friday. Just my luck Searcy had a bad case of pneumonia but said “drop them off anyway and if I feel better during the week I’ll get them done”. Friday afternoon came and no call from Searcy . As the clock ticked by Friday there was no sign of Searcy or my suspension being done. My main concern now was is Searcy OK and I figured well its just not meant to be, I'm not racing the National. As I was getting ready for Bed around 9:30 pm my phone rang. “Hey this is Searcy your suspension is ready come get it” . It wasn’t until 12:00 midnight Friday when I got my bike back together and loaded onto my trusty 1978 Motorhome named Lady Ida. Saturday Morning 5:30 AM I hit the road in Ida blasting some old school Gangster Rap on the Bluetooth when I hear BAM! Ida was still running fine so I figured all was is well. UNTIL my Temp gauge jumped up to over 280 degrees. YIKES! Must of blown a fan belt. WHAT TO DO? Do I push on or pull over? I let God take the wheel at this point and pushed on to Milestone.

As I pulled up to the entry Gate at Milestone steam started blasting out from under Ida’s hood and she limped into a nice camping spot, then she stalled. Will Ida start Again in two days when its time to leave? At this point All I cared about was sign ups and the racing ahead.

The Racing:
I've Raced OTHG as an intermediate in every age group since 1992. And I have never won a national. There was always that “FAST GUY” or two from out of nowhere that beat me.

Saturday Moto 1 & 2 Moto 1:

Unlike the warm up were there was only 6 guys in my class there are now 14 guys lined up & probably all on 450s with the same goal in mind... get a good start and win!
We were gate 1, so the concrete starting gate was clean and dry. It finally came, “A Good Start!” the only bike that beat me to the first turn was the “bright green GIANT” the rocket 500 CC two stroke machine of #118g Dan Leahey. The same GIANT that has beat me so many times before. But this time before Lap one was over I passed that Green Giant at switch back split lane entry leading back into the main track. Leahey will tell you that it wasn’t the cleanest of passes but I was on a mission. I figured “THAT Guy” That one fast guy who has beat me every national prior is coming from behind so I need to sprint like race track dog after a rabbit. Next: We all know when you’re out front you want the race to end quick so you can take your win before you make a mistake and or someone else catches up and takes your win. Well for me that race 1 felt extra long and sure enough it was.After the race I found out they accidentally ran our race two extra laps. WTH! Someone forgot to tell the flagger our race was over.

Moto 2 was pretty uneventful I got a good start again and sprinted for the win. I felt like this national is mine UNTIL...

Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Sunday Day 2 - Moto 3 & 4, Easy Come Easy Go is not Over Till Its Over. As I headed to the track for Sunday morning practice I noticed the National trophy’s being placed onto the score sheet table. OHHHH they looked nice and I wanted one bad. But, like I started this story we all know ANYTHING can happen in Motocross “it's not ever easy” with White #74 g finishing 2 & 2 on Saturday .
I have to do good on Sunday to finally win a National. Today our class is scheduled as Moto 12 and our first race came late in the day. As we lined up on the start gates they told us they are going to water the track, and oh yes,let me say that they put down a lot of water. The track resembled a muddy strawberry field after a long rain and all the jump faces looked like shiny brown Slip and Slides. My start was not so good.By turn two my goggles are blacked out by mud. I’m mid pack with bikes behind me, bikes on both sides of me and White the #74 g machine directly in front of me. Then something unexpected happened... BAM White stalls on the landing of the step off jump into to turn 3.He slides sideways and I run in to him. For a second I thought OK I did not fall AND THEN BAM! Someone from behind landed on me and my face is in the dirt. I’m wondering what the heck happened. Only thing I can think of is White #74 g is getting away and there goes my national win. I quickly inventoried myself for injuries and realized... I’m not hurt. Check box 1. Then, I grabbed my bike. Which was somehow still running. Check box 2! Then, I jumped on and took off dead last. I soon found out my number plate is half broken off and pushed between my legs and my rear fender is pointing straight up like a sissy bar on a chopper. My bars are twisted to the left. So, I stopped and pushed down my number plate and headed off to gain some points. Somehow, I salvaged a 6 th and I was lucky I did.
Moto 4 “ Statistics” The Numbers are Not Adding Up in My Favor
They say “Championships are won by how we handle our bad races”.
In between Moto 3 & 4. I go and do the math. It was not looking good for me to win the championship. Now, to win I MUST win Moto 4 and White #74 g must finish 3rd or worse. FACTS & STATISTICS : To make things worse. Vice president, White #74 g finished 2nd in the last 7 motos that he raced. So, what are the odds of him finishing 3rd or worse in the next race ? Very Slim. The Time has come and we finally lined up for Moto 4. I know I have to win this race. If I can do that, The rest “Is in God’s Hands”.
The Gate drops and I get a good 2nd place start. Who was in front of me ? The red machine of newly bumped down ,former expert ,none other than, Bruce Ashmore (the guy who beat White in Moto3) 111g WOW! I can’t believe it. By lap 2. I pass Ashmore and move into 1st. The whole race I could see out of my peripheral vision Ashmore is still close behind me and no #74 White to be seen. UNTIL - With one lap to go I could see the #74 catching #111. If White passes Ashmore, I lose the championship to White . I can’t tell you how happy I was on the last lap when I was coming down that final straight I looked back to see #111 still ahead of #74 .

Conclusion:
It took me almost 20 years... I finally won one! An OTHG national win Trophy was finally mine. Like so many things in life “Results Often Appear To Be Much Easier Then The Effort It Actually Took To Achieve Them” BIG THANKS to Bruce for beating George when I needed it. Thanks George for making such awesome Trophies. Thanks Brian Kingler 21b from the bay area, winner of the 52 intermediate class for sharing your story with me after the races. It was a highlight of my weekend. If you ever get a chance to meet this guy Brian he is a true hero that has overcome GIGANTIC obstacles to make it to his win at the South chapter's Milestone first national . I am a fan of 21b. I hope Klingler is rider of the month someday soon and that he goes on to win at the Oat Field race. If you as a reader make it this far then, thanks for reading my story... I look forward seeing you all at the races real soon.
Respectfully, Michael Marrin AKA “Spicoli #141”

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Ida.

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

Mike's pass coming up and just like our battle at Glen Helen It wasn’t until the last lap in Moto 2 that I got around George White #74g which gave me the win for the Warm up race.

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member
Topic starter  

April ROM 2019...Congratulations Michael !

ReplyQuote
Admin

That is a great read. Thanks for sharing and reminding us why we do this  8)

Congrats on your first national win!!!

ReplyQuote

Cool story. This is a prime example of what makes our club so good, we race each other as hard we can for the win, and at the end we laugh and congratulate each other and talk about the battles we had, good stuff!! I'm glad Mike finally got he's national win. Funny thing is, at the last corner I was right behind Bruce, one more lap and I would have had it. That's OK, the guy that road better got the overall, the way it should be. I look forward to many more battles with
"Spicoli"

ReplyQuote

Congratulations Mike.
This is what the OTHG  is about. Meeting you at the trophy table for the fist time was cool.  You rode a awesome race I had no clue of the points going in to race 4.and I thought George White was going to pass me but he didn't. 
Looking forward to ride with George White, Mike Martin, Peter MayFord, Chris Combo, Carl Powel and the rest of the guys.
Just being able to complete races is a win to me.
A big thanks to the board members to let me go down a class
Safety first.

Bruce Ashmore 111g

ReplyQuote

Great story Mike Congrats
Elvis 573g
Viva Las Vegas

ReplyQuote

Great story guys. Wish I had one.
169g

ReplyQuote