Notifications
Clear all

My Hollister weekend

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter  

So let me share my Hollister weekend story
Loaded up and out the door at 9:30AM (only 30 minutes behind schedule, pretty good for us) Got on the 210 West bound leaving Upland.
Driving with smiles on our faces looking forward to 5 days of not working and hanging with friends and racing on my mind. That lasted for 8 miles when suddenly my trailer bounces off the hitch (from this dumb ass getting side tracked and forgetting to latch the trailer hitch). Made it to the emergency lane hooked up the trailer. This time I latched the hitch, pulled off the freeway to see how bad the damage was. Didn't have too much damage cracked the fiberglass on the motorhome, put a hole in the trailer from the ball of the hitch. Made sure the lights, trailer breaks and safety chains were all good to go. Back on the road at 11:00 knowing we will lever get there when the gates open and if you have ever been to Hollister you know parking is pretty tuff if your late. (thankfully JVD and Rich saved us a perfect spot and probably pissed off a lot of people that wanted that spot but JVD and Rich held their ground)
Getting closer every mile and starting to forget about our mishap, when some motorist pulls up next to us and informed us we had a blow out on the trailer. Another 40 minute delay but back on the road and finally pulled in about 6:30ish
Friday & Saturday turned out to be about 113 degrees (great whether for riding) and my generator was cutting off which turned off my air. Finally figured out that problem that was a big relief.
My racing was terrible at best, I was in the running for #1 national plate but this weekend ended that.
With my tail between my legs I started to load up and head home, until I needed to jump start the motorhome from a low battery. Thinking I'm leaving all my bad luck at the track (not so much) We stopped for dinner at the bottom of the grapevine (north side) after dinner we climb the grapevine for our final 1 1/2 hours drive. Just as we get to the bottom of the pass (thank God it was at the bottom) my trailer hitch breaks in 2 we were doing about 60 mph and the safety chains are holding the trailer straight but it plows through the back of the motorhome takes out all electrical, trailer breaks, batteries and rips the holes for the safety chains wide open. Not to mention the fireworks show I see in the backup camera. With no lights on the trailer had to wait for CHP to show up so I can retrieve the trailer from the side of the 5 freeway at 9:30PM. We get the trailer off the freeway. I call my buddy Mike Cossart who lives very close to were we are at. Unfortunately he is out of town but tells me to take the trailer to his sister-in-laws house which in 1/2 mile from me, We take the motorhome back to Upland get home at 1:00AM go back to Valencia at 7:30 Monday morning with my F-150 and finally have all my crap at my house.
Now for the repairs to begin.
Sorry for the long post but it wasn't nearly as long as our weekend seemed to us.
John 

Thank God your okay!!
That was a hell of a weekend!

ReplyQuote
Lifetime Member

Wow...Good - Bad story.
Drove to Glen Helen Thursday afternoon to practice and it poured rain.Could not practice. Another 2 hours driving home.

BTW drizzled at the Hollister track Monday morning ...nice and cool after the 113 degrees Saturday.I was wiped out after racing Saturday.

Well you had mighty good starts in your expert class on Saturday and we watched you doing the step up jump cleanly all weekend.

ReplyQuote

Wow John, loads of trouble on that one. I lost a bolt on one of the boards on my boat trailer, very hard getting boat back on trailer when a board is floating...lol

ReplyQuote

Holy shit gald you and Lori are ok

Elvis 537g
Viva Las Vegas

ReplyQuote

That SUCKS big time. Who's dog did you kick?

ReplyQuote

Sounds like you got all your bad luck out of the way for life!! Glad you finally made it home.

ReplyQuote

Holy smokes! That was not a black cloud over your head........it was a hurricane.

ReplyQuote