Clear all

David Shelton - GoFundMe

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Admin
Topic starter  

Dear OTHG Family!

We've got word that a long time OTHG member, David Shelton aka "Dangerous Dave" passed away this past Saturday.  His son has been overwhelmed with all that has transpired and is need of some financial help.  It's our hope that the OTHG family would be inclined to donate to the GoFundMe account that's been setup:  GoFundMe: David Shelton

Sincerely,

Your OTHG Board Members

RIP my Brother.... 🙁

A quick Shelton story, we were at the Reno National some years back, and 1 st moto my rear sprocket crack and breaks right on the line. So after the moto I'm in process of lining up to borrow a bike for the rest of the moto's at Reno. Dave was just a few spots away and hear of my dilemma, goes into his box of spare parts, finds a rear sprocket, takes my wheel off, mounts the sprocket, the the wheel and I'm ready to go.

I get back and Dave says to me, " You're all set Boss, go get 'em the next moto!". Good times, Dave was quite the character and you could not help but love the guy.

ReplyQuote

"Dangerous Dave" was a living legend, and stories about him will be told around campfires for years to come.  I remember someone wanted Dave  to be kicked out of the L.A. Oldtimers for being "dangerous" and Mark Martin (RIP) said "no way, every club needs a Dangerous Dave."  His obvious love for the sport of motocross was inspiring, and he proved that you don't need expensive new stuff to go racing.

I raced in the same class as Dave in the L.A. Oldtimers for years, and had quite a few close races with him.  I studied his tendencies on the track, and learned how to avoid contact with him.  I "cracked the code".  Dave pioneered the use of "road racing" lines in MX; that is, he would always approach a turn on the outside like he wanted to rail the berm, but then he would dive to the inside (apex) at the last second.  Some might call that "dangerous",  I would call it "unconventional".  But "unconventional Dave" would not have had the same ring to it as "Dangerous Dave".  What a cool nickname.  He embraced that nickname, and had it printed on the back of his club jersey.  We will never see his like again, may he rest in peace.   

ReplyQuote
 372g

😉

ReplyQuote